- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Or 4 bone-in leg/thigh chicken quarters
- ½ lemon (2 tbsp juice)
- 1” ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- Or 2 tbsp store bought ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Masala Mama Organic Tandoori Masala
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
For garnish: Onion slaw (optional)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise, separated into rings
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp lime/lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
Mix all the ingredients of the slaw, taste for salt. Make the slaw while the chicken is being cooked.
• Make a paste of ginger and garlic with lemon juice.
• In a large bowl big enough to accommodate all of the chicken, combine all the ingredients of the marinade and mix well.
• Make 4-5 deep diagonal slashes in each of the chicken pieces.
• Put the chicken in the marinade and rub the marinade nicely into the chicken, making sure it goes into the slits. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours but ideally overnight.
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Place marinade-coated chicken on barbecue grates, skin side down.
- Grill chicken until just cooked through (about 7-10 minutes per side), basting with butter periodically.
- Garnish with onion slaw and serve immediately.
- Remove the marinating chicken from the fridge and mix well. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a wire rack on top of sheet. Arrange it on a rack in a single layer, shaking off some of the excess marinade.
- Preheat your broiler to high and position rack 3 to 5 inches from the heat source.
- Broil the chicken, turning periodically and basting with butter until the chicken is just cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with onion slaw and serve immediately.