A mouthwatering pungent and spicy curry created by the Portugese Goans, cooked with lots of garlic and flavored with aromatic spices and vinegar. Traditionally made with pork, but works really well with chicken; use sweet potatoes for a delicious vegetarian version. You can make this dish with our simmer sauce or with our spice kit, in the oven or on the stovetop--scroll down for all the recipes.
In this recipe, you don't need to marinate the meat ahead of time.
Pork Vindaloo (Simmer Sauce recipe for the oven)
For use with Vindaloo All Natural Simmer Sauce.
¼ - ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Pork butt or shoulder
Masala Mama Organic Vindaloo Simmer Sauce
Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Trim the pork of all excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a medium-sized Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the cubed pork and sear on all sides.
- Addthe Vindaloo sauce and mix well. Optional: If you like your Vindaloo very hot add ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, or if you like it ultra hot add ½ tsp. Mix well into the sauce.
- Cover and place in the oven. Braise for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and give it a good stir. If too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of water. Return to oven and braise until meat is completely fork tender, about 1 more hour. This dish has a nice thick gravy.
Skim off any visible fat. Taste and adjust salt. Serve hot with basmati rice, Indian naan or grilled ciabata bread or Goan pão!
This dish often tastes even nicer the next day.
Pork Vindaloo (Spice Kit recipe for the oven)
For use with the Vindaloo Organic Spice Kit. You can also find variations for this recipe at the bottom of this page.
Serves 4 • Spice level: HOT• Prep time: 15 min • Cooking time: 120 min
3 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 Large onion, finely chopped
1½ lbs Boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1½ inch cubes
1” cube Fresh ginger, peeled and minced
8 Medium cloves of garlic, minced
6 tbsp Cider vinegar
½ tsp Salt
¼ - ½ cup Low-sodium chicken stock/broth
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until the onion is softened, approx. 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pork, ginger, garlic, salt and Spice sachet 1 and sauté another 5 minutes.
- And the cider vinegar, Spice sachet 2 and ¼ cup stock and mix well. Optional: To make the dish extra hot, add half the contents of the red chili powder sachet. To make the dish fiery hot, add the entire contents of the sachet.
- Cover the pot and set it in the oven.
- After an hour, check the vindaloo, stirring the contents and adding additional stock if necessary. Return the pot to the oven for an additional 45 minutes or until the pork is fork tender. Skim off any excess fat from the top and season with salt to taste.
Optional: You can substitute ½ lb of the pork with 1 medium sweet potato (peeled and cubed).
SPICE KIT RECIPE VARIATIONS
Chicken Vindaloo (click to download)
Sweet Potato Vindaloo (click to download)
Pork and Sweet Potato Vindaloo:
Use the recipe for Pork Vindaloo; reduce the pork by 1/2 lb and add 1 medium sweet potato instead (peeled and cubed).
Chicken and Sweet Potato Vindaloo:
Use the recipe for Chicken Vindaloo; reduce the chicken by 1/2 lb and add 1 medium sweet potato instead (peeled and cubed).