ZANZIBAR curry with SEAFOOD
1.5 lbs shrimp or fish fillets, cut into biggish pieces
2 tbsp oil
1 red onion, medium-sized, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped (or a few small sweet peppers)
1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper de-seeded, chopped fine
1 cup canned whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
1 jar Masala Mama Coconut Curry Simmer Sauce
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup stock (chicken or vegetable)
1-2 limes, cut into wedges
Cilantro for garnish
1. Heat oil, add the onion and bell pepper and scotch bonnet pepper if using. Cook till soft but not brown.
2. Add tomatoes. Fry on medium heat for about 7-8 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
3. Add Masala Mama Coconut Curry sauce. Use stock to clean up any remaining sauce in the jar.
4. Pour in the coconut milk, add shrimp/fish and and simmer until the fish/shrimp is just cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Adjust salt, taste for spice, add more coconut milk if you like.
5. Garnish with the chopped cilantro leaves and serve with lime wedges and serve with Ugali (which is the traditional way of eating this dish) or with steamed rice.
Note: For those who like super spicy food, do not deseed the habanero chilli. This dish is spicy even with the seeded Habanero chili. You can use half the habanero or none at all for a milder dish.